[ovirt-users] The future of backups in oVirt 4.2+

Zip plord at intricatenetworks.com
Fri Jan 19 05:46:39 UTC 2018

On Jan 18, 2018 5:29 PM, "Jayme" <jaymef at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm still deciding on storage solutions and have not made up my mind yet.
> GlusterFS may be an option but I'm not sure about performance and maintenance.
> It sounds to me like GlusterFS with secondary replicated gluster volume would
> work quite well as a disaster recovery solution but I'd also need
> historical/incremental backups as well, either of the VMs or at the very least
> some important files within such as production DBs etc, which may be possible
> with a secondary backup method using rsync or something along those lines.

-Gluster has a geo-replication based backup which is very cool and
integrated to oVirt UI.

> It seems to me that there is not a great backup solution for oVirt yet which I
> find hard to believe.  I don't understand why backing up oVirt VMs has to be
> so complicated, compared to other products.  I was hoping that 4.2 would
> change that and allow for easier more resource efficient backing solutions.

-It certainly does. See the DR work (and youtube video).
-Y.

** I have yet to see a working script that does a VM backup from oVirt 4.2
to NFS storage?? I have spent days testing and trying all the scripts I can
find, most are old and all seem to fail in different ways. I have even coded
my own script using bash/curl/RestAPI and hit a dead end there as well with
not finding any docs on how to backup an inactive disk from a attached
snapshot. You¹d think oVirt would have something better for a DR solution or
at least make it so you dont have to become an oVirt Dev Contributor to be
able to backup your Vms? **

I would love to see a clear example of how to do VM backups from the command
line in a script so I can move on to rolling out oVirt 4.2 ;)

Zip