[ovirt-users] oVirt home lab hardware

Abdurrahman A. Ibrahim a.rahman.attia at gmail.com
Fri Jan 19 10:02:27 UTC 2018

On 19 Jan 2018 12:33 am, "Jamie Lawrence" <jlawrence at squaretrade.com> wrote:

I'm a bit out of date on the topic, but unless they have changed, avoid the
NUCs. I bought a couple but gave up on them because of a firmware bug (?
limitation, at least) that Intel said it won't fix. It causes a lockup on
boot if a monitor is not connected. I've been told that different models
don't have that problem, but have also heard of other weird problems. The
impression I got is that they were meant for being media servers stuck to
the back of TVs, and other use cases tend to be precluded by unexpected
limitations, bugs and general strange behavior. Perhaps this was fixed, but
I ended up with a bad taste in my mouth.

You can pick up dirt-cheap rackmount kit on Ebay. A few R710s or similar
can be had for a few $hundred and would be absolutely lovely overkill for a
home network. The downside of this approach at home is going to be power
consumption and noise, depending on local energy costs and the nature of
your dwelling. Also, some people may not be that fond of the datacenter
look for home decor.

Unless you live in a cheap energy locale/don't pay for your power/enjoy
malformed space heaters, don't underestimate the cost of running server
kit. Getting rid of rack mount machines and switches and moving everything
to a couple machines built with energy consumption in mind cut my
electricity costs by over half.

-j