[ovirt-users] Q: Optimal settings for DB hosting

Yaniv Kaul ykaul at redhat.com
Fri Jan 19 10:15:26 UTC 2018

On Jan 19, 2018 10:52 AM, "andreil1" <andreil1 at starlett.lv> wrote:

Hi !

What is optimal setting for oVirt KVM guests for database hosting on Xeon
server (2 x Xeon 4-core each) (in my case this is Firebird based
accounting/stock control system with several clients active)?

1st of course its preallocated disk image.
VirtO-SCSI enabled

- It's not clear that virtio-scsi is faster than virtio-blk in all cases.
Test.
- What's the backend storage?

Migration disabled.
Balloning disabled.
CPU shares disabled
Pass-through host CPU enabled

What about NUMA and pinning?

What should be other CPU settings?
For example, Xeon have 2 threads per core, should I set in oVirt 1 or 2
threads per virtual CPU?
IO Threads on or off?

On.

Any idea of NUMA settings ?

Indeed. + Huge pages, in both host and guest.

Node running 4 VMs total, CPU load is quite low, RAM is enough to
preallocate for each VM + 4GB for node itself.

In short, use high performance VM. See ovirt.org feature page.
Y.

Thanks in advance !
Andrei