[ovirt-users] VirtIO-SCSI and viodiskcache custom property

Yaniv Kaul ykaul at redhat.com
Sat Jan 20 18:54:06 UTC 2018

On Jan 19, 2018 3:29 PM, "Matthias Leopold" <
matthias.leopold at meduniwien.ac.at> wrote:

Hi,

is there a reason why the viodiskcache custom property isn't honored when
using VirtIO-SCSI?

On a Cinder (Ceph) disk "viodiskcache=writeback" is ignored with
VirtIO-SCSI and honored when using VirtIO.

On an iSCSI disk "viodiskcache=writeback" is ignored with VirtIO-SCSI and
the VM can't be started when using VirtIO with "unsupported configuration:
native I/O needs either no disk cache or directsync cache mode, QEMU will
fallback to aio=threads"

We actually want to use "viodiskcache=writeback" with Cinder (Ceph) disks.

That's because on block storage we use native io and not threads. I assume
the hook needs to change to use native io in this case.
Y.

oVirt version: 4.1.8

Thanks
Matthias