[ovirt-users] oVirt 4.2 - Removed disk remains in VM OS with hooks?

Zip plord at intricatenetworks.com
Mon Jan 22 15:32:09 UTC 2018

> I am having an issue where when I use the REST API to connect a snapshot from
> another VM to a Backup-Appliance-VM, after the clone when I remove the Disk
> and delete the Snapshot, the disk remains in the Backup-Appliance-VM as
> /dev/sdb ot /dev/vdb.
>
> If I reboot the Bakup-Applicance-VM the disk disappears.
>
> If I manually remove the disk by "echo 1 > /sys/block/sdb/device/delete² the
> disk will disappear, but if I rescan the scsi bus, it is found and shows up
> again in the VM OS, but the oVirt WebGUI does NOT show it as connected.

-- The first part is expected - the 2nd isn't.

What are you referring to as the first and second part?

> I am also not able to attach any other disks as it complains of :
>
> HotPlugDiskVDS failed: internal error: unable to execute QEMU command
> '__com.redhat_drive_add': Duplicate ID 'drive-scsi0-0-0-2' for drive
>
> I did see that others in the past have gotten around this issue by rebooting
> the Backup-Appliance-VM and then continuing on with the next VM backup and
> looping through backup-reboot-backup-reboot-etc.
>
> Anyone have an idea on how to solve this issue and remove the hooks from the
> guest OS?
>
> Steps to reproduce this issue:
>
> 1. Create a backup appliance VM to be used for the backup script execution
> 2. Currently I have the Vms set to virtio with threaded I/O enabled. Also
> tried virtio_scsi with same result.
> 3. Using REST API ­ make snapshot of target VM
> 4. Using REST API ­ fetch vm metadata
> 5. Using REST API ­ attach the snapshot/disk to the Backup-Appliance-VM
> 6. dd the drive to backup folder
> 7. Using REST API ­ remove the disk from the Backup-Appliance-VM
> 8. Using REST API ­ delete the snapshot
> 9. ** Check the guest OS of the Backup-Appliance-VM and the mounted drive from
> the backup above still appears and behaves as mentioned in comments above.

‹ There are many details missing, including versions of everything used, but
logs would be most helpful here.

Versions for oVirt are all the most recent. This is a fresh install of the
Hosted Engine. I will just script the backup to cycle through sdb, sdc, sdd,
Š. Szzzz, just seems odd that once a disk is detached and a snapshot
deleted, that the Backup_appliance-VM can still access the drive/snapshot?

> A second issue is that the above wont work when I have the Vms running on MPIO
> iSCSI storage, so for testing I have moved to NFS4. Anyone have ideas about
> either issue, I¹d love to hear ;)

‹ Same - logs would be helpful here.

I will continue to dig through this issue and will post logs if stuck. I
just wanted to know if there was anything obvious that I should be doing
differently with iSCSI vs NFS with mounting disks/snapshots.

Zip

‹ Y.