[ovirt-users] Slow conversion from VMware in 4.1

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Thu Jan 25 10:06:29 UTC 2018

On Thu, Jan 25, 2018 at 10:53:28AM +0100, Luca 'remix_tj' Lorenzetto wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 25, 2018 at 10:08 AM, Richard W.M. Jones <rjones at redhat.com> wrote:
> > There's got to be some difference between your staging environment and
> > your production environment, and I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do
> > with the version of oVirt.
> >
> > Are you running virt-v2v inside a virtual machine, and previously you
> > ran it on bare-metal?  Or did you disable nested KVM?  That seems like
> > the most likely explanation for the difference (although I'm surprised
> > that the difference is so large).
> >
> > Rich.
> >

> Hello Rich,
>
> i'm running virt-v2v throught the import option of oVirt.

Unfortunately the ‘-i vmx’ method is not yet supported when using the
oVirt UI.  However it will work from the command line[0] if you just
upgrade virt-v2v using the RHEL 7.5 preview repo I linked to before.

‘-i vmx’ will be by far the fastest way to transfer guests available
currently, (unless you want to get into VDDK which currently requires
a lot of fiddly setup[1]).

> [root at kvm01 ~]# rpm -qa virt-v2v
> virt-v2v-1.36.3-6.el7_4.3.x86_64
> [root at kvm01 ~]# rpm -qa libguestfs
> libguestfs-1.36.3-6.el7_4.3.x86_64
> [root at kvm01 ~]# rpm -qa "redhat-virtualization-host-image-update*"
> redhat-virtualization-host-image-update-placeholder-4.1-8.1.el7.noarch
> redhat-virtualization-host-image-update-4.1-20171207.0.el7_4.noarch
>
> (yes, i'm running RHV, but i think this shouldn't change the behaviour)
>
> I don't set anything in the commandline or whatever, i set only the
> source and destination throught the API. So virt-v2v is coordinated
> via vdsm and runs on the bare-metal host.
>
> The network distance is "0", because vcenter, source vmware hosts, kvm
> hosts and ovirt hosts lies in the same network. The only annotation is
> that also vCenter is a VM, running on esx environment.
>
> Network interfaces both on source and destination are 10Gbit, but
> there may be a little slowdown on vcenter side because has to get the
> data from esx's datastore and forward to the ovirt host.

I don't know why it slowed down, but I'm pretty sure it's got nothing
to do with the version of oVirt/RHV.  Especially in the initial phase
where it's virt-v2v reading the guest from vCenter.  Something must
have changed or be different in the test and production environments.

Are you converting the same guests?  virt-v2v is data-driven, so
different guests require different operations, and those can take
different amount of time to run.

Rich.

[0] http://libguestfs.org/virt-v2v.1.html#input-from-vmware-vmx
[1] http://libguestfs.org/virt-v2v.1.html#input-from-vddk