[ovirt-users] ovirt 3.6, we had the ovirt manager go down in a bad way and all VMs for one node marked Unknown and Not Reponding while up

Giuseppe Ragusa giuseppe.ragusa at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 28 01:22:07 UTC 2018

Da: users-bounces at ovirt.org <users-bounces at ovirt.org> per conto di Christopher Cox <ccox at endlessnow.com>
Inviato: venerdì 26 gennaio 2018 01:57
A: dougsland at redhat.com
Cc: users
Oggetto: Re: [ovirt-users] ovirt 3.6, we had the ovirt manager go down in a bad way and all VMs for one node marked Unknown and Not Reponding while up

>On 01/25/2018 04:57 PM, Douglas Landgraf wrote:

>>> I know.  But from a production standpoint mid-2016 wasn't that long ago.
>>> And 4 was just coming out of beta at the time.
>>>
>>> We were upgrading from 3.4 to 3.6.  And it took a long time (again, because
>>> it's all "live").  Trust me, the move to 4.0 was discussed, it was just a
>>> timing thing.
>>>
>>> With that said, I do "hear you"....and certainly it's being discussed. We
>>> just don't see a "good" migration path... we see a slow path (moving nodes
>>> out, upgrading, etc.) and knowing that as with all things, nobody can
>>> guarantee "success", which would be a very bad thing.  So going from working
>>> 3.6 to totally (potential) broken 4.2, isn't going to impress anyone here,
>>> you know?  If all goes according to our best guesses, then great, but when
>>> things go bad, and the chance is not insignificant, well... I'm just not
>>> quite prepared with my résumé if you know what I mean.
>>>
>>> Don't get me wrong, our move from 3.4 to 3.6 had some similar risks, but we
>>> also migrated to whole new infrastructure, a luxury we will not have this
>>> time.  And somehow 3.4 to 3.6 doesn't sound as risky as 3.6 to 4.2.
>>
>> I see your concern. However,  keep your system updated with recent
>> software is something I would recommend. You could setup a parallel
>> 4.2 env and move the VMS slowly from 3.6.
>
>Understood.  But would people want software that changes so quickly?
>This isn't like moving from RH 7.2 to 7.3 in a matter of months, it's
>more like moving from major release to major release in a matter of
>months and doing again potentially in a matter of months.  Granted we're
>running oVirt and not RHV, so maybe we should be on the Fedora style
>upgrade plan.  Just not conducive to an enterprise environment (oVirt
>people, stop laughing).

The analogy you made is exactly on point: I think that, given the
maturity of the oVirt project, the time has come to complete the picture ;-)

RHEL -> CentOS

RHV -> ???

Note: I should mention RHGS too (or at least a subset) because we have the
oVirt hyperconverged setup to care for (RHHI)

So: is anyone interested in the rebuild of RHV/RHGS upstream packages?

If there is interest, I think that the proper path would be to join the CentOS
Virtualization SIG and perform the proposal/work there.

Best regards,
Giuseppe