[ovirt-users] Nvidia Tesla M60 Direct GPU-Passthrough giving issues + VNC

Ravyu Sivakumaran ravyusk at gmail.com
Tue Jan 30 03:15:47 UTC 2018

Hi,

I am running an Ovirt host on a SuperMicro SuperServer 2028GR-TRH equipped
with 2x2 Tesla M60s (they are dual GPU Cards). I've followed this guide-
https://www.ovirt.org/develop/release-management/features/virt/hostdev-passthrough/
and managed to get a Windows 10 Enterprise guest running with one GPU
attached to it. The windows guest successfully detects the single M60 GPU
and I can install the latest Tesla drivers (390.65) on it with no problem.
However, the GPU refuses to do any work whatsoever. The control panel says
the GPU is being used for compute and not as a VGA adapter (shows up as
inactive on the activity monitor). Nvidia's GPUModeSwitcher tool tells me
that the GPU is in Graphics mode, so there is a driver issue here. I have
access to the GRID Drivers. However I'm not sure why I'd need them as I'm
only doing a direct-passthrough, not GPU Virtualization. Any ideas?

Also, after activating Device-Passthrough, I'm unable to access my VM's via
the Hosts' VNC anymore. I get an "unable to connect" error. Im currently
accessing the Guests with a direct VNC connection. Problem is, I can't
clone/create new VMs anymore because of this. I must've done something
wrong, not sure what.

Thanks in advance!
--
Yours Faithfully