[ovirt-users] VMs stuck in migrating state

nicolas at devels.es nicolas at devels.es
Fri Mar 2 14:25:17 UTC 2018

Hi Milan,

El 2018-03-02 14:10, Milan Zamazal escribió:
> [...]
>> all VMs
>> migrating (although it seems to not actually being migrating them) and
>> the
>> migration state cannot be cancelled.
>>
>> When clicking on one of those machines and selecting 'Cancel
>> migration', in the
>> ovirt-engine log I see:
>>
>> 2018-02-26 08:52:07,588Z INFO
>> [org.ovirt.engine.core.vdsbroker.vdsbroker.CancelMigrateVDSCommand]
>> (org.ovirt.thread.pool-6-thread-36)
>> [887dfbf9-dece-4f7b-90a8-dac02b849b7f]
>> HostName = host2.domain.com
>> 2018-02-26 08:52:07,588Z ERROR
>> [org.ovirt.engine.core.vdsbroker.vdsbroker.CancelMigrateVDSCommand]
>> (org.ovirt.thread.pool-6-thread-36)
>> [887dfbf9-dece-4f7b-90a8-dac02b849b7f]
>> Command 'CancelMigrateVDSCommand(HostName = host2.domain.com,
>> CancelMigrationVDSParameters:{runAsync='true',
>> hostId='e63b9146-10c4-47ad-bd6c-f053a8c5b4eb',
>> vmId='26d37e43-32e2-4e55-9c1e-1438518d5021'})' execution failed:
>> VDSGenericException: VDSErrorException: Failed to CancelMigrateVDS,
>> error =
>> Migration process cancelled, code = 82
>>
>> On the vdsm side I see:
>>
>> 2018-02-26 08:56:19,396+0000 INFO  (jsonrpc/0) [vdsm.api] START
>> migrateCancel()
>> from=::ffff:10.X.X.X,54654,
>> flow_id=874d36d7-63f5-4b71-8a4d-6d9f3ec65858
>> (api:46)
>> 2018-02-26 08:56:19,398+0000 INFO  (jsonrpc/0) [vdsm.api] FINISH
>> migrateCancel
>> return={'status': {'message': 'Migration process cancelled', 'code':
>> 82},
>> 'progress': 0} from=::ffff:10.X.X.X,54654,
>> flow_id=874d36d7-63f5-4b71-8a4d-6d9f3ec65858 (api:52)
>>
>> So no error on the vdsm side log.
>
> Interesting.  The messages above indicate that the VM was attempted to
> migrate, but the migration got temporarily rejected on the destination
> due to the number of already running incoming migrations (the limit is
> 2
> incoming migrations by default).  Later, Vdsm was asked to cancel the
> outgoing migration and it successfully set a migration canceling flag.
> However the action was reported as an error to Engine, due to hitting
> the incoming migration limit on the destination.  Maybe it's a bug, I'm
> not sure, resulting in minor confusion.  Normally it shouldn't matter,
> the migration should be canceled shortly after anyway and Engine should
> be informed about that.
>
> However the migration apparently wasn't canceled here.  I can't say
> what
> happened without complete Vdsm log.  One of possible reasons is that
> the
> migration has been waiting on completion of another migration outgoing
> from the source (only one outgoing migration at the time is allowed by
> default).  In any case it seems the migration either wasn't actually
> started at all or it just started being set up and that has never been

I'm attaching the log. Basically the storage backend was restarted by
fencing and then this issue happened. This was on 26/02 at about 08:52
(log time).

>> I already tried restarting ovirt-engine but it didn't work.
>
> Here the problem is clearly on the Vdsm side.
>
>> Could someone shed some light on how to cancel the migration status
>> for these
>> machines? All of them seem to be running on the same host.
>
> Did the VMs get unblocked in the meantime?  I can't know what's the

No, they didn't. They're still in a "Migrating" state.

> actual state of the given VMs without seeing the complete Vdsm log, so
> it's difficult to give a good advice.  I think that Vdsm restart on the
> given host would help BUT it's generally not a very good idea to
> restart
> Vdsm if any real migration, outgoing or incoming, is running on the
> host.  VMs that aren't actually being migrated (despite being reported
> as migrating) at all should simply return to Up state after the
> restart,
> but VMs with any real migration action pending might get return to Up
> state without proper cleanup, resulting in a different kind of mess or
> maybe something even worse (things should improve in oVirt 4.2, but
> it's
> still good to avoid Vdsm restarts with migrations running).

I assume this is not a real migration as it has been in this state for
several days. Would you advice restarting vdsm in this case then?

Thank you.