[ovirt-users] Tunable parameters in ovirt engine

Hari Prasanth Loganathan hariprasanth.l at msystechnologies.com
Wed Mar 7 15:33:09 UTC 2018

With the default configuration of the web server it is impossible to handle
more than 256 *connections* simultaneously. I guess that "ab" is opening a
connection for each concurrent request, so when you reach request 257 the
web server will just reject the connection, there is nothing that the JBoss
can do about it; you have to increase the number of connections supported
by the web server.

*So Does it mean that oVirt cannot serve more than 257 request? *
My question is, If its possible How to scale this and what is the
configuration we need to change?

Also, we are taking a benchmark in using oVirt, So I need to find the
maximum possible oVirt request. So please let me know the configuration
tuning for oVirt to achieve maximum concurrent request.

Thanks,
Hari

On Wed, Mar 7, 2018 at 7:25 PM, Juan Hernández <jhernand at redhat.com> wrote:

> With the default configuration of the web server it is impossible to
> handle more than 256 *connections* simultaneously. I guess that "ab" is
> opening a connection for each concurrent request, so when you reach request
> 257 the web server will just reject the connection, there is nothing that
> the JBoss can do about it; you have to increase the number of connections
> supported by the web server.
>
> Or else you may want to re-consider why you want to use 1000 simultaneous
> connections. It may be OK for a performance test, but there are better ways
> to squeeze performance. For example, you could consider using HTTP
> pipelining, which is much more friendly for the server than so many
> connections. This is what we use when we need to send a large number of
> requests from other systems. There are examples of how to do that with the
> Python and Ruby SDKs here:
>
>   Python:
>
> https://github.com/oVirt/ovirt-engine-sdk/blob/master/sdk/
> examples/asynchronous_inventory.py
>
>   Ruby:
>
> https://github.com/oVirt/ovirt-engine-sdk-ruby/blob/master/
> sdk/examples/asynchronous_inventory.rb
>

> On 03/07/2018 02:43 PM, Hari Prasanth Loganathan wrote:
>
>> Hi Juan,
>>
>> Thanks for the response.
>>
>> I agree web server can handle only limited number of concurrent requests.
>> But Why it is failing with SSL handshake failure for few requests, Can't
>> the JBOSS wait and serve the request? We can spare the delay but not with
>> the request fails. So Is there a configuration in oVirt which can be tuned
>> to achieve this?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Hari
>>
>> On Wed, Mar 7, 2018 at 7:05 PM, Juan Hernández <jhernand at redhat.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> The first thing you will need to change for such a test is the number of
>>> simultaneous connections accepted by the Apache web server: by default
>>> the
>>> max is 256. See the Apache documentation here:
>>>
>>>    https://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/mod/mpm_common.html#m
>>> axrequestworkers
>>>
>>> In addition I also suggest that you consider using the "worker"
>>> multi-processing module instead of the "prefork", as it usually works
>>> better when talking to a Java application server, because it re-uses
>>> connections better.
>>>
>>> On 03/07/2018 02:20 PM, Hari Prasanth Loganathan wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Team,

DISCLAIMER

The information in this e-mail is confidential and may be subject to legal
privilege. It is intended solely for the addressee. Access to this e-mail
by anyone else is unauthorized. If you have received this communication in
error, please address with the subject heading "Received in error," send to
it at msystechnologies.com,  then delete the e-mail and destroy any copies of
it. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying,
distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it,
is prohibited and may be unlawful. The views, opinions, conclusions and
other information expressed in this electronic mail and any attachments are
not given or endorsed by the company unless otherwise indicated by an
authorized representative independent of this message.
MSys cannot guarantee that e-mail communications are secure or error-free,
as information could be intercepted, corrupted, amended, lost, destroyed,
arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses, though all reasonable
precautions have been taken to ensure no viruses are present in this e-mail.
As our company cannot accept responsibility for any loss or damage arising
from the use of this e-mail or attachments we recommend that you subject
these to your virus checking procedures prior to use