[ovirt-users] Quick question about oVirt 3.6 and vdsm log in DEBUG mode (apprently by default??)

Christopher Cox ccox at endlessnow.com
Tue Mar 13 21:47:04 UTC 2018

We're running oVirt 3.6 on 9 Dell Blades but with just two fairly fat
fabrics, one for LAN stuff, ovirtmgmt and one for iSCSI to the storage
domains.

15 VM Storage Domains
iSCSI has 4 paths going through a 40Gbit i/o blade to switch

115 VMs or thereabouts
9 VLANS, sharing an i/o blade with ovirtmgmt 40Gbit to switch
500+ virtual disks

What we are seeing more and more is that if we do an operation like
expose a new LUN and configure a new storage domain, that all of the
hyervisors go "red triangle" and "Connecting..." and it takes a very
long time (all day) to straighten out.

My guess is that there's too much to look at vdsm wise and so it's
waiting a short(er) period of time for a completed response than what
vdsm is going to us, and it just cycles over and over until it just
happens to work.

I'm thinking that vdsm having DEBUG enabled isn't helping the latency,
but as far as I know it came this way be default.  Can we safely disable
DEBUG on the hypervisor hosts for vdsm?  Can we do this while things are
roughly in a steady state?  Remember, just doing the moves could throw
everything into vdsm la-la-land (actually, that might not be true, might
take a new storage thing to do that).

Just thinking out loud... can we safely turn off DEBUG logging on the
vdsms? Can we do this "live" through bouncing of the vdsm if everything
is "steady state"?  Do you think this might help the problems we're
having with storage operations? (I can see all the blades logging in
iSCSI wise, but ovirt engine does the whole red triangle connecting
thing, for many, many, many hours).

Thanks,
Christopher