[ovirt-users] dns vm and ovirt

Nathanaël Blanchet blanchet at abes.fr
Fri Mar 16 12:58:01 UTC 2018

Hi all,

I'd need some piece of good practice about dealing a DNS server in or
out of ovirt.
Until now we never wanted to integrate the DNS vm into ovirt because of
the strong dependency. if the DNS server fails for any reason, it
becomes difficult ot join the webadmin (except with a static etc hosts)
and the nodes may become unvailable if they had been configured with fqdn.
We could consider a DNS failover setup, but in a self hosted engine
setup (and more globally an hyperconverged setup) , it doesn't make
sense of setting up a stand alone DNS vm outside of ovirt.

So what about imitating engine vm status in a hosted engine setup? Is
there a way to install the DNS vm outside of ovirt but on the ovirt host
(and why not in a HA mode)?
Second option could be installing the named service on the hosted engine vm?

Any suggestion or return of experience would be much appreciated.

--
Nathanaël Blanchet

Supervision réseau
Pôle Infrastrutures Informatiques