[ovirt-users] Workflow after restoring engine from backup

Sven Achtelik Sven.Achtelik at eps.aero
Sun Mar 18 21:45:15 UTC 2018

Hi All,

I had issue with the storage that hosted my engine vm. The disk got corrupted and I needed to restore the engine from a backup. That worked as expected, I just didn't start the engine yet. I know that after the backup was taken some machines where migrated around before the engine disks failed. My question is what will happen once I start the engine service which has the restored backup on it ? Will it query the hosts for the running VMs or will it assume that the VMs are still on the hosts as they resided at the point of backup ? Would I need to change the DB manual to let the engine know where VMs are up at this point ? What will happen to HA VMs ? I feel that it might try to start them a second time.  My biggest issue is that I can't get a service Windows to shutdown all VMs and then lat them restart by the engine.

Is there a known workflow for that ?

Thank you,
Sven