[ovirt-users] Major Performance Issues with gluster

Jim Kusznir jim at palousetech.com
Mon Mar 19 16:28:06 UTC 2018

Here's gluster volume info:

[root at ovirt2 ~]# gluster volume info

Volume Name: data
Type: Replicate
Volume ID: e670c488-ac16-4dd1-8bd3-e43b2e42cc59
Snapshot Count: 0
Number of Bricks: 1 x (2 + 1) = 3
Transport-type: tcp
Bricks:
Brick1: ovirt1.nwfiber.com:/gluster/brick2/data
Brick2: ovirt2.nwfiber.com:/gluster/brick2/data
Brick3: ovirt3.nwfiber.com:/gluster/brick2/data (arbiter)
Options Reconfigured:
changelog.changelog: on
geo-replication.ignore-pid-check: on
geo-replication.indexing: on
server.allow-insecure: on
performance.readdir-ahead: on
performance.quick-read: off
performance.read-ahead: off
performance.io-cache: off
performance.stat-prefetch: off
cluster.eager-lock: enable
network.remote-dio: enable
cluster.quorum-type: auto
cluster.server-quorum-type: server
storage.owner-uid: 36
storage.owner-gid: 36
features.shard: on
features.shard-block-size: 512MB
performance.low-prio-threads: 32
cluster.data-self-heal-algorithm: full
cluster.locking-scheme: granular
cluster.shd-wait-qlength: 10000
cluster.shd-max-threads: 8
network.ping-timeout: 30
user.cifs: off
nfs.disable: on
performance.strict-o-direct: on

Volume Name: data-hdd
Type: Replicate
Volume ID: d342a3ab-16f3-49f0-bbcf-f788be8ac5f1
Snapshot Count: 0
Number of Bricks: 1 x 3 = 3
Transport-type: tcp
Bricks:
Brick1: 172.172.1.11:/gluster/brick3/data-hdd
Brick2: 172.172.1.12:/gluster/brick3/data-hdd
Brick3: 172.172.1.13:/gluster/brick3/data-hdd
Options Reconfigured:
changelog.changelog: on
geo-replication.ignore-pid-check: on
geo-replication.indexing: on
transport.address-family: inet
performance.readdir-ahead: on

Volume Name: engine
Type: Replicate
Volume ID: 87ad86b9-d88b-457e-ba21-5d3173c612de
Snapshot Count: 0
Number of Bricks: 1 x (2 + 1) = 3
Transport-type: tcp
Bricks:
Brick1: ovirt1.nwfiber.com:/gluster/brick1/engine
Brick2: ovirt2.nwfiber.com:/gluster/brick1/engine
Brick3: ovirt3.nwfiber.com:/gluster/brick1/engine (arbiter)
Options Reconfigured:
changelog.changelog: on
geo-replication.ignore-pid-check: on
geo-replication.indexing: on
performance.readdir-ahead: on
performance.quick-read: off
performance.read-ahead: off
performance.io-cache: off
performance.stat-prefetch: off
cluster.eager-lock: enable
network.remote-dio: off
cluster.quorum-type: auto
cluster.server-quorum-type: server
storage.owner-uid: 36
storage.owner-gid: 36
features.shard: on
features.shard-block-size: 512MB
performance.low-prio-threads: 32
cluster.data-self-heal-algorithm: full
cluster.locking-scheme: granular
cluster.shd-wait-qlength: 10000
cluster.shd-max-threads: 6
network.ping-timeout: 30
user.cifs: off
nfs.disable: on
performance.strict-o-direct: on

Volume Name: iso
Type: Replicate
Volume ID: b1ba15f5-0f0f-4411-89d0-595179f02b92
Snapshot Count: 0
Number of Bricks: 1 x (2 + 1) = 3
Transport-type: tcp
Bricks:
Brick1: ovirt1.nwfiber.com:/gluster/brick4/iso
Brick2: ovirt2.nwfiber.com:/gluster/brick4/iso
Brick3: ovirt3.nwfiber.com:/gluster/brick4/iso (arbiter)
Options Reconfigured:
performance.readdir-ahead: on
performance.quick-read: off
performance.read-ahead: off
performance.io-cache: off
performance.stat-prefetch: off
cluster.eager-lock: enable
network.remote-dio: off
cluster.quorum-type: auto
cluster.server-quorum-type: server
storage.owner-uid: 36
storage.owner-gid: 36
features.shard: on
features.shard-block-size: 512MB
performance.low-prio-threads: 32
cluster.data-self-heal-algorithm: full
cluster.locking-scheme: granular
cluster.shd-wait-qlength: 10000
cluster.shd-max-threads: 6
network.ping-timeout: 30
user.cifs: off
nfs.disable: on
performance.strict-o-direct: on

--------------

When I try and turn on profiling, I get:

[root at ovirt2 ~]# gluster volume profile data-hdd start
Another transaction is in progress for data-hdd. Please try again after
sometime.

I don't know what that other transaction is, but I am having some "odd
behavior" this morning, like a vm disk move between data and data-hdd that
stuck at 84% overnight.

I've been asking on IRC how to "un-stick" this transfer, as the VM cannot
be started, and I can't seem to do anything about it.

--Jim