[ovirt-users] Which hardware are you using for oVirt

Andy Michielsen andy.michielsen at gmail.com
Sun Mar 25 07:36:22 UTC 2018

Hello Alex,

Thanks for sharing. Much appriciated.

I believe my setup would need 96 Gb off RAM in each host, and would need about at least 3 Tb of storage. Probably 4 Tb would be beter if I want to work with snapshots. (Will be running mostly windows 2016 servers or windows 10 desktops with 6Gb off RAM and 100 Gb of disks)

I agree that a 10 Gb network for storage would be very beneficial.

Now If I can figure out how to set up a glusterfs on a 3 node cluster in oVirt 4.2 just for the data storage. I ‘m golden to get started. :-)

Kind regards.

> On 24 Mar 2018, at 20:08, Alex K <rightkicktech at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I have 2 or 3 node clusters with following hardware (all with self-hosted engine) :
>
> 2 node cluster:
> RAM: 64 GB per host
> CPU: 8 cores per host
> Storage: 4x 1TB SAS in RAID10
> NIC: 2x Gbit
> VMs: 20
>
> The above, although I would like to have had a third NIC for gluster storage redundancy, it is running smoothly for quite some time and without performance issues.
> The VMs it is running are not high on IO (mostly small Linux servers).
>
> 3 node clusters:
> RAM: 32 GB per host
> CPU: 16 cores per host
> Storage: 5x 600GB in RAID5 (not ideal but I had to gain some storage space without purchasing extra disks)
> NIC: 6x Gbit
> VMs: less then 10 large Windows VMs (Windows 2016 server and Windows 10)
>
> For your setup (30 VMs) I would rather go with RAID10 SAS disks and at least a dual 10Gbit NIC dedicated to the gluster traffic only.
>
> Alex
>

>> On Sat, Mar 24, 2018 at 1:24 PM, Andy Michielsen <andy.michielsen at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello Andrei,
>>
>> Thank you very much for sharing info on your hardware setup. Very informative.
>>
>> At this moment I have my ovirt engine on our vmware environment which is fine for good backup and restore.
>>
>> I have 4 nodes running now all different in make and model with local storage and it works but lacks performance a bit.
>>
>> But I can get my hands on some old dell’s R415 with 96 Gb of ram and 2 quadcores and 6 x 1 Gb nic’s. They all come with 2 x 146 Gb 15000 rpm’s harddisks. This isn’t bad but I will add more RAM for starters. Also I would like to have some good redundant storage for this too and the servers have limited space to add that.
>>
>> Hopefully others will also share there setups and expirience like you did.
>>
>> Kind regards.
>>
>>> On 24 Mar 2018, at 10:35, Andrei Verovski <andreil1 at starlett.lv> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> HL ProLiant DL380, dual Xeon