[ovirt-users] Cannot remove VM

Arik Hadas ahadas at redhat.com
Sun Mar 25 07:53:33 UTC 2018

On Wed, Mar 21, 2018 at 11:54 AM, Angel R. Gonzalez <angel.gonzalez at uam.es>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I can't edit/remove/modify a VM. Always show a message:
>     "Cannot remove VM. Related operation is currently in progress. Please
> try again later"

That means that the VM is locked using an in-memory lock (rather than in
the database, so the script for unlocking entities would not help here).
The message you get was deprecated, when a lock is taken before executing a
long operation we generate a more informative message.
So that is almost certainly caused by a bug, we have fixed various bugs
that could have lead to that.
What version of oVirt do you use? Could you share the engine.log that
covers the latest operation that was made on this VM?
Anyway, restarting the engine would most probably release the lock of that
VM and allow removing it.

> I also used REST API
> curl -k -u admin at internal:passwd -X DELETE https://engine/ovirt-engine/ap
> i/vms/XXXXXXXX
> and the output message is the same.

Yeah, it doesn't matter what client you use since this error is generated
on the back-end side.