Release guide lines not follow for the 1st release.

Mike Burns mburns at redhat.com
Fri May 25 01:07:32 UTC 2012

On Thu, 2012-05-24 at 12:36 -0400, Robert Middleswarth wrote:
> I have started looking over the code as I plan to start to contribute to
> the project.  Well reviewing I noticed there was no branches in vdsm
> outside master.  I started asking around in irc and looking around in
> the wiki.  I found http://www.ovirt.org/wiki/Release_Process and from
> what I can tell these processes weren't followed on the 3.0 release.
> Under section 4 it calls for "All component owners must create a new
> version branch" It looks like only the engine created a branch.  No
> other projects have.  There are tags but no branches.

While I understand the point of having branches like that, I don't know
that I agree with making it a requirement.  With git, having a tag for
the version is just as good as having a branch.  In the case that a
critical fix is needed, a branch can be created with minimal effort.
I'd propose that we adjust the Release Process to say that a tag is
created.  A separate versioned branch can be created if it's actually
needed.

Mike