internal and external interfaces/ (was VLANs [Q&A] Installing oVirt 3.1 and GPFS)

Itamar Heim iheim at redhat.com
Thu Nov 15 03:15:40 UTC 2012

On 11/15/2012 04:53 AM, 안 준호 wrote:
> I'd appreciate your reply.
> Sorry but I have another question about VLAN.

tip: in the future, i suggest sending a new email for a new topic.
it will both have a better eye catching subject, and will also not hide
inside the GPFS thread which the networks folks may be less interested in.

> Our network is comprised of VLAN.
> Furthermore, the network is separate to 2 parts.
>
> First part is the Internal Network.
> We have to configure the eth0 interface for private communication in the servers. (IP : 10.X.X.X)
> Second part is the External Network.
> We must set-up the eth1 interface for public communication in the servers. (IP : 172.X.X.X)
>
> I attach a jpg file about sketching for all interfaces in the servers.
> A VM has 2 network interfaces and VLAN 175.
>
> Question)
> Single Interface is OK. (eth0 -- eth0.175 -- br0175 -- vnet0)
> I want to use the eth1 interface, however, can't register bridge interface br1175 in the oVirt.
> Because of the VLAN 175 is already registered number for eth0.
>
> How do I register and assign two bridge interfaces with the same VLAN number ?

that's an interesting use case, i don't think we encountered same vlan
number in separate physical networks in same data center.
just wondering, any reason the vlan number is identical between internal
and external networks (i mean, it is obviously not really the same vlan,
as these are physically separate networks)?