KVM on IBM POWER (PPC64) support in vdsm and ovirt

Itamar Heim iheim at redhat.com
Sun Nov 18 11:47:21 UTC 2012

On 11/16/2012 07:34 PM, Fernando Granha Jeronimo wrote:
> On 11/13/2012 10:02 AM, Paulo de Rezende Pinatti wrote:

>>> I'm adding roy/omer/michal as the work on libosinfo (patches in
>>> gerrit[1]) seems to make some of these changes not needed (if it is
>>> merged).
>>> rather just need to extend libosinfo with the information on ppc.
>>>
>>> for sure worth reviewing both approaches to make sure the chosen
>>> solution benefits both and we collaborate on same end goal.
>>
>> thanks, we will check these patches and possibly change the approach
>> to use libosinfo.
>>
> Hello,
>
> We have carefully analyzed the engine libosinfo patches and the
> libosinfo itself to devise
> our conclusion. During this process, we found the following key points:
>
>    * In order to have a clear notion of supported versions and devices,
> we would
>      need to populate libosinfo's xmls for qemu and for devices, as well
> as implement logic in
>      ovirt-engine to process the relationship between them. This would
> be basically partially
>      reimplement the lib itself. In addition, given that we are not
> using the lib but actually processing
>      the xmls directly there is no guarantee that their structure will
> be preserved in the future,
>      which in the mid/long term may lead to code changes in the engine
> to adapt to it.

I thought that is what roy's patches are doing?
i agree about the concern if the xml is changing.

>    * Even if libosinfo had all the information we needed in the xmls, we
> would still need to validate
>      or filter values according to ovirt-engine's rules. For instance,
> if the list of network devices
>      for PowerKVM in libosinfo had 5 elements and the engine only
> intended to support/expose 2 specific models,
>      (for a given version for example) it has to be aware of these two
> models, meaning that even using libosinfo
>      we still need something in engine to validate them (which
> reinforces Itamar's filter suggestion).

good point - Roy, how would cluster level compatibility for features
would work in your libosinfo approach?

> The primary concern of libosinfo patches is focused on virtual machine
> parameters validation based on OS.
> With regard to Power KVM support it doesn't address other areas like
> hypervisor/cluster validation logic.

well, this could just be since it wasn't populated for a non x86_64
arch. would it make sense for you to discuss ppc support for libosinfo
regardless?

>>> http://gerrit.ovirt.org/9063