KVM on IBM POWER (PPC64) support in vdsm and ovirt

Paulo de Rezende Pinatti ppinatti at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Mon Nov 19 13:25:35 UTC 2012

On 11/18/2012 09:47 AM, Itamar Heim wrote:
> On 11/16/2012 07:34 PM, Fernando Granha Jeronimo wrote:

>>> thanks, we will check these patches and possibly change the approach
>>> to use libosinfo.
>>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> We have carefully analyzed the engine libosinfo patches and the
>> libosinfo itself to devise
>> our conclusion. During this process, we found the following key points:
>>
>>    * In order to have a clear notion of supported versions and devices,
>> we would
>>      need to populate libosinfo's xmls for qemu and for devices, as well
>> as implement logic in
>>      ovirt-engine to process the relationship between them. This would
>> be basically partially
>>      reimplement the lib itself. In addition, given that we are not
>> using the lib but actually processing
>>      the xmls directly there is no guarantee that their structure will
>> be preserved in the future,
>>      which in the mid/long term may lead to code changes in the engine
>> to adapt to it.
>
> I thought that is what roy's patches are doing?
> i agree about the concern if the xml is changing.
>
>>    * Even if libosinfo had all the information we needed in the xmls, we
>> would still need to validate
>>      or filter values according to ovirt-engine's rules. For instance,
>> if the list of network devices
>>      for PowerKVM in libosinfo had 5 elements and the engine only
>> intended to support/expose 2 specific models,
>>      (for a given version for example) it has to be aware of these two
>> models, meaning that even using libosinfo
>>      we still need something in engine to validate them (which
>> reinforces Itamar's filter suggestion).
>
> good point - Roy, how would cluster level compatibility for features
> would work in your libosinfo approach?
>

>> The primary concern of libosinfo patches is focused on virtual machine
>> parameters validation based on OS.
>> With regard to Power KVM support it doesn't address other areas like
>> hypervisor/cluster validation logic.
>
> well, this could just be since it wasn't populated for a non x86_64
> arch. would it make sense for you to discuss ppc support for libosinfo
> regardless?

Thanks for your comments Itamar. It's good to discuss to find the best
ways to proceed.

I think the point Fernando made was that the libosinfo integration with
ovirt is just for vm parameter validation, and other areas needing to
change to support powerkvm such the hypervisor/cluster validation are
not addressed by libosinfo at all, even for x86.

It means that if we choose this path it would first be necessary to
change ovirt code to tighter integrate with libosinfo, and implement the
processing of links between xmls as well as validation of values against
ovirt rules (both mentioned in bullets above). Libosinfo in turn would
need its xmls populated to provide things like cpu flags, devices,
hypervisor and versions information. These would be needed just for the
code we have today, with no PowerKVM support yet.

This would be a longer road which would be interesting to take if we had
as a result a stable and centralized point of platform related
information. But rather ovirt would be possibly sitting on unstable
ground as Fernando well pointed the xmls can change at any time due to
libosinfo projects needs, which would force ovirt to re-adapt to new xml
formats. As to centralization, the information would still be partially
dispersed due to the need to determine what ovirt wants to support (this
kind of information cannot go in libosinfo).