3.3 release engineering

Dave Neary dneary at redhat.com
Wed May 15 15:21:46 UTC 2013

Hi,

On 05/07/2013 12:55 AM, Dave Neary wrote:
> http://www.ovirt.org/oVirt_3.3_release-management

<snip>

> Can I suggest one improvement which could be done this week, please?
> There's no way of knowing from this page which features in the MUST,
> SHOULD lists are done and just awaiting release, in need of QE and
> testing, being actively worked on (and if so, by who?) and which
> features are there aspirationally and won't be worked on unless someone
> volunteers to pick them up.

<snip>

> If you're working on a feature that's in this page and it's not
> finished, would you mind adding a link to the feature page (if there is
> one) and adding your name to the feature, please? And if the feature is
> done, please link to the feature page, or some other resource that
> allows people to use and test it - and (if possible) the changelog
> entry/gerrit where the patch was included.

It's been a week since I sent this email, and in that time there have
been 3 edits to the page - 2 adding new features to the infra section,
and one linking to a series of UX patches for the dashboard.

However, there has been no progress towards indicating whether the
features listed as "MUST" or "SHOULD" are actually ready for
release/testing at this point.

We're less than 2 weeks from feature freeze, 3 weeks from a test day,
with no clear test plan, and no indication on this stage of whether
features listed in the "Features" section are ready to go, or are still
in progress.

If you have added a feature here in the past, please go back and add a
sub-list with any known bugs, and a line with the status of this
(planned, in progress, complete but untested, ready to go). This will
greatly assist in understanding whether features are going into the 3.3
release, or are instead candidates for bumping to 3.4.

Underneath the "No blocker bugs" and similar items, I have also added a
sub-list section where we can list currently known bugs in each
category. It would be a good idea, for example, to either link to
individual bugs or to a saved search in Bugzilla for the various
categories (release blockers, data corruption issues, etc).

Thanks!
Dave.

--
Dave Neary - Community Action and Impact
Ph: +33 9 50 71 55 62 / Cell: +33 6 77 01 92 13