feature suggestion: initial generation of management network

Livnat Peer lpeer at redhat.com
Tue May 21 06:55:13 UTC 2013

On 05/20/2013 04:08 PM, Alon Bar-Lev wrote:

> [...]

We want to discuss the bridge creation with Mike to see if it still
makes sense.
If it does we though to remove the bridges in the ovirt-node-plugin-vdsm
(which is a node code not VDSM's).

>> For images 3.2 and below we still need this code, because oVirt node
>> creates brXXX bridges and the engine do not configure the network
>> automatically if a bridge exists on the interface.
>
> It is not just 'need this code' it is that we cannot use the bridgeless solution at enigne.

We can use it in 3.2 and 3.1 where we have sync network, a user would
need to sync network (which will remove the bridge).

> 1. We need to detect node version and perform bridgeless deployment if node is >= x, but we do not know this at engine when we deploy a host... we even do not know that it is ovirt-node.

We don't need this info.
If the bridge is there we need to run the code we have today if there is
no bridge there is nothing to do during host-deploy.

At the phase of the management bridge configuration in the engine we
detect if there is a bridge or not if there is one we don't touch the
configuration if there is none we create one (or not according to the
network definition).

> 2. I release a new minor version of ovirt-host-deploy that delete the bridge regardless of the mode.

That is not good as we don't have setup-network in 3.0.

> 3. Engine will be able to delete this bridge just like he is able to create the management bridge.

- I don't like this as this means we need to write code for deprecated
state, we already have code for handling this today it is in the host
deploy.

- it is not a valid solution as we can't handle v 3.0