Design issue when using optional networks for administrative usages

Livnat Peer lpeer at redhat.com
Tue Sep 10 09:21:06 UTC 2013

On 09/10/2013 11:02 AM, Dan Kenigsberg wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 01:28:52AM -0400, Mike Kolesnik wrote:

I think that VM network and administrative network are substantially
different.
In the case of administrative network it makes the system behavior
unpredictable and cumbersome, since this was never asked by our users I
don't see the need to complicate the common use case.

>>> I think that this request is a valid one, even when a network serves
>>> other purposes than connecting VMs. When designing migration network,
>>> we've decided that if it is missing, migration would be attempted over
>>> the management network, as a fallback. I can imagine an admin who says:
>>> I don't care much about migrations, most of my VMs are pinned-to-host
>>> anyway. so if the migration network is gone, don't make a fuss out of
>>> it.
>>>
>>> The use case for letting a host be Up even if its display network is
>>> less obvious. But then again, I can think of an admin who uses a vdsm
>>> hook to set the display IP of each VM. He does not care if the display
>>> network is up or not.
>>
>> If the admin uses hooks for his networking needs then I don't see why he
>> even needs this support in oVirt, so your point is not clear to me..
>
> The user does not need ovirt's support, it needs ovirt to not get in his way.
> Assume the user wants to transport the display of each VM over a
> different IP address. And assume that he has the logic to choose this
> address tucked in a vdsm hook. He then does not care whether the
> ovirt-designated displaynetwork is up or down. Monitoring it is a
> liability for him.

As I explained above in the above case the user can use the management
network as the display network which is the default and would not block
him while rewriting the display network in the hook.