Design issue when using optional networks for administrative usages

Dan Kenigsberg danken at redhat.com
Tue Sep 10 11:57:37 UTC 2013

On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 12:21:06PM +0300, Livnat Peer wrote:
> On 09/10/2013 11:02 AM, Dan Kenigsberg wrote:
> > On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 01:28:52AM -0400, Mike Kolesnik wrote:

Maybe Simon Grinberg would chime in. He once requested to have a
migration network that is VM specific. I have a vague memory of a
customer asking for VM-specific display network. And once we have
storage networks? Are they considered "administrative" and must-have on
all hosts, or would you allow an admin to be more flexible?

Not all "administrative networks" are alike. Some are important, some
are less critical.

> >> If the admin uses hooks for his networking needs then I don't see why he
> >> even needs this support in oVirt, so your point is not clear to me..
> >
> > The user does not need ovirt's support, it needs ovirt to not get in his way.
> > Assume the user wants to transport the display of each VM over a
> > different IP address. And assume that he has the logic to choose this
> > address tucked in a vdsm hook. He then does not care whether the
> > ovirt-designated displaynetwork is up or down. Monitoring it is a
> > liability for him.
> >

> As I explained above in the above case the user can use the management
> network as the display network which is the default and would not block
> him while rewriting the display network in the hook.

It's easy to think of an admin who wants to have some of his
non-critical VMs use a non-ovirtmgmt network for display, and do an
uber-complex hook for several critical VMs. He likes to use a display
network, but would not want to take a host down if the net is gone.