Smarter network_setup hooks

Miguel Angel miguelangel at ajo.es
Sat Jan 4 19:08:17 UTC 2014

Hi Adam

Thanks for the feedback

2014/1/3 Adam Litke <alitke at redhat.com>

> On 03/01/14 12:20 +0000, Dan Kenigsberg wrote:
>
>> Recently, Miguel Angel Ajo (CCed) has added a nice functionality to the
>> implementation of setupNetworks in Vdsm: two hook points where added:
>> before and after the setupNetworks verb takes place.
>> [....]
>
> Seems like a logical thing to do.  What specific mechanism do you
> suggest for passing the JSON strings to the hook script?  If passed as
> arguments to the hook script we would need to consider shell escaping
> and argv length restrictions.
>
> As for the libvirt domain xml we pass to other hooks, we write a temporary
file
and we set an environment variable pointing to it before calling the script

> What about writing these out to a special file and adding a new
> getContext() call to the hooking module.  A script that is unconcerned
> with the context would not require any changes.  But a script that
> wants access would simply do:
>
>    ctx = hooking.getContext()
>
> and ctx would be the contents of the special file already decoded into
> a native Python object for easy consumption.  This could easily be
> extended to any hook which may want to provide some context to
> implementors.

That would be nice, so scripts written in python wouldn't need to look for,
and parse
the file.

This is an example of a simple hook:

http://gerrit.ovirt.org/#/c/20330/7/tests/functional/networkTests.py  (look
inside the ValidatesHook decorator)

It'd be quite simplified. We would also need a "setContext()..." to update
context with changes.

> One more question comes to mind:  Are there any pieces of information
> that we would need to redact from the context (passwords or other
> sensitive information)?

I think there is no sensitive information as far as I know.

Greetings,
Miguel Ángel.