[node-devel] Versioning of oVirt Node

Ryan Barry phresus at gmail.com
Mon Mar 31 14:33:26 UTC 2014

node-devel <node-devel at ovirt.org>
> Subject: Re: [node-devel] Versioning of oVirt Node

> Any idea why ?

> The only thing I can think off is that we are probably doing something
wrong.

For my part, because knowing what it's based on allows me to pick based
upon feature sets and known compatibility with addons. I know that a
Fedora-based image will support nested virt if I want to install that VDSM
hook. And CentOS will support Dell's monitoring tools.

Building from scratch with libvirt and busybox, even if hyperbolic, would
make adding plugins, vendor tools, or anything else exceptionally
problematic unless we were to reinvent RPM or an oVirt-specific VIB. Debian
stable presents some of the same problems.

We may be able to get away with an EL7-based build only until it diverges
too far from Fedora, at least, but I can't help but see this as a temporary
solution.
--
while (!asleep) { sheep++; }