Next Release Planning

Dave Neary dneary at redhat.com
Wed Aug 22 08:24:53 UTC 2012

Hi,

On 08/22/2012 08:19 AM, Livnat Peer wrote:
> I'm perfectly fine with releasing in November a 3.1.1 as a stable
> release. As long as we don't postpone releasing 'something' further than
> November.

I'd be happy to release a 3.1.1 release as soon as we have a fix for the
NFS issue affecting 3.1 VDSM & Node builds.

> The only issue that comes to mind when we start discussing z-stream is
> the churn we'll have (as developers):
>
> - We'll need to cherry pick instead of rebasing, which means sending
> patches twice, testing it twice, rewriting parts if needed etc. It would
> have been ok if we didn't have to cherry pick a few dozens patches in
> networking alone.
>
> - We'll need to take care of upgrades more carefully, which always makes
> our work more interesting but also more complicated (do we require
> upgrading to 3.1.z before upgrading to 3.2? testing the upgrade process
> etc.)
>
> I think that going forward we'll do better if we can create the next
> z-stream branch as soon as we release so we can cherry pick as we go,
> now we have a gap of about 8 weeks (? - not sure actually) since last
> rebase, that's a lot of work.
>
> I suggest that the release in November will still be 3.2 and hopefully
> we can get enough features to make it attractive, and then we'll create
> the z-stream branch, so we can release 3.2.z as needed (instead of doing
> 3.3 with not enough meaningful content).

It might help focus the conversation if we could have a list of features
which have been started (or even finished) in the devel branch? I'd love
to know what the general branching strategy for oVirt has been.

Thanks!
Dave.

--
Dave Neary