[Engine-devel] New tool to upload OVF archives

Livnat Peer lpeer at redhat.com
Mon Dec 5 15:34:55 UTC 2011

On 12/05/2011 03:58 PM, Keith Robertson wrote:
> On 12/05/2011 08:22 AM, Andrew Cathrow wrote:
>>
>> Can we update the ID feature to autogenerate an ID instead of
>> specifying it.
> Yes.
>> Also the ID generation needs to flow through to the template/VM's disk ID
>>
> Are you sure about that?  In the sample OVF XML in the patch [1], the
> XML Element, "TemplateId", has a UUID that ends in 9402.  The only other
> place that this 9402 UUID appears is in the "ovf:id" attribute a
> "Section" element.  This UUID does not appear in any disk ID elements.
> Hence, it was my assumption that the UUIDs for the TemplateID and the
> "ovf:diskId" elements are distinctly separate.
>
> Cheers,
> Keith

Hi Keith,

As far as i know the template id appears only once which is fine but the
disk id should be updated in several places.
I think Andrew's question was referencing to the disk-id.

Changing the disk id also requires taking care of all the references to
this id, for example:
- in the ovf file the References element, Disk element and devices under
"VirtualHardwareSection".
- The image files names (image and meta-data file)
- The data inside the meta-data file

Is it covered by the tool?

Livnat

> [1]: .../engine-image-uploader/src/ovf/sample-ovf.xml

>>> 5. The tool will allow you to change the UUID of the image.
>>> 6. The tool will only upload those files explicitly listed in the
>>> archive's XML .ovf file. This prevents spurious cruft which it
>>> included
>>> in some OVF archives from being moved to the export domain.
>>>
>>> Example usage:
>>> 1.>  python ovirt-image-uploader.py  -n 127.0.0.1:/virt/exports
>>> --template-name=new-name-here --template-id=new-uuid-here upload
>>> keith.ovf  --force
>>> 2.>  python ovirt-image-uploader.py --conf-file=./imageuploader.conf