[Engine-devel] Announcing a proof of concept REST API for VDSM

Anthony Liguori anthony at codemonkey.ws
Wed Nov 30 15:44:19 UTC 2011

On 11/30/2011 09:09 AM, Itamar Heim wrote:
> On 11/30/2011 05:00 PM, Adam Litke wrote:
>>> single node and exposing the exact same REST API and behavior of the
>>> multi-node ovirt engine would be easier to cosnume for someone that
>>> wants to interact with a single node same way they would interact
>>> with ovirt-engine.
>>
>> In principle an ovirt-engine-light sounds great.  Especially if we could get the
>> existing GUIs for free.  The main concern I have with this is the gargantuan
>> nature of the ovirt-engine and GUI code bases.  You want to reserve as many
>> system resources for the guests but it seems that ovirt-engine will consume at
>> least several GB of RAM and one or more CPU cores.  How would you lighten up
>> this JBoss stack without rewriting it in a more efficient language?  One use
>> case I am interested in is a single-node ovirt instance to control VMs on my
>> laptop.  I can spare several hundred MB of RAM at most for the management stack.
>>

> this is much much lighter and faster with jboss7 (which iirc, takes
> 100MB to start, tomcat takes 80MB for comparison).

When thinking about something like ovirt-node, my concern is that a jboss7 based
ovirt-lite would end up significantly impact the size of the image.

I think ovirt-node tends to be around ~100MB today which includes VDSM.  A
simple REST API (as Adam proposes) wouldn't increase this size at all.

Just the openjdk package looks to be around 72MB.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori