[Engine-devel] REST session management

Geert Jansen gjansen at redhat.com
Mon Apr 16 07:26:18 UTC 2012

Hi Oved,

+1 for this feature.

[[As a background to the others on the list, this feature is absolutely
essential for certain types of ISV integration. Many ISVs need to mirror
the RHEV inventory (i.e. all VMs, clusters, basically any object managed
by RHEV) in realtime to their own database. The way they do this
currently is by polling /api/events and look for changes. In order to be
able to react to changes fast, they typically poll every 5 seconds. The
query itself is very efficient, so it doesn't cause a whole lot of load
on RHEV-M. But it floods the log with login/logout events. This
persistent session feature is a solution for that.]]

Actually my vote would go for your variation #2:

    The client passes the "Prefer" header field on every request,
    besides the last one. When the server gets a request with a
    JSESSIONID, and without the "Prefer" header, it logs out the session.

It's mostly my gut feeling, but i would say it has these advantages:

1. It is more explicit, as on every request you confirm that you still
want the authenticated session to be maintained.
2. It is also consistent with the default we have chosen of no
persistent authentication.
3. It does not need a second header, so it is somewhat simpler.

Regards,
Geert

--
Geert Jansen
Sr. Product Marketing Manager, Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization

Red Hat S.r.L.           O: +39 095 916287
Via G. Fara 26           C: +39 348 1980079 (when in US: 415-623-0542)
Milan 20124, Italy       E: gjansen at redhat.com