[Engine-devel] REST session management

Oved Ourfalli ovedo at redhat.com
Mon Apr 16 07:44:31 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----

Thank you for the background. I'll add it to the wiki page.

> Actually my vote would go for your variation #2:
>
>     The client passes the "Prefer" header field on every request,
>     besides the last one. When the server gets a request with a
>     JSESSIONID, and without the "Prefer" header, it logs out the
>     session.
>
> It's mostly my gut feeling, but i would say it has these advantages:
>
> 1. It is more explicit, as on every request you confirm that you
> still
> want the authenticated session to be maintained.
> 2. It is also consistent with the default we have chosen of no
> persistent authentication.
> 3. It does not need a second header, so it is somewhat simpler.

I Agree on that, although I'm not sure whether it is really needed to release the session, rather then rely on timeout.
If we indeed need to provide a way to release the session then I agree this is the best alternative. But if we don't then it will make the API to the client more (but not very) complex in that manner.
The only doubt I have about that is that from reading on the new "Prefer" header, I got the feeling that it is more relevant on session negotiation, and less something you would pass on every request in the session, but I'm not sure about that.