[Engine-devel] UI Plugins configuration

Frantz, Chris Chris.Frantz at hp.com
Thu Aug 30 18:06:24 UTC 2012

Vojtech,

I agree with your formalized names:

Plugin Descriptor is the JSON file containing plugin meta-data. The plugin descriptor may also contain the default configuration data.   It is located in $DATADIR/ui-plugins.

Plugin Configuration is the JSON file containing optional plugin configuration info.  It is located in $CONFIGDIR/ui-plugins (unless the Plugin Descriptor contains an absolute path).

Plugin Definition is the JavaScript object used by WebAdmin.  In the current implementation, the Plugin Definition contains both the Plugin Descriptor and the Plugin Configuraion.

Plugin Source Page is the HTML page used to invoke the plugin code and shall be referenced by the plugin descriptor’s “url” attribute.

I’ve implemented the config merging you’ve suggested:  the structure in configFile gets merged with the structure of “config”, with the data in configFile winning in the case of duplicate key names.

BTW, the patch is against ovirt-engine + 0001-WIP-UI-Plugins-PoC-revision-2.

Let me know what you think,
--Chris