[Engine-devel] [vdsm] RFC: Writeup on VDSM-libstoragemgmt integration

Shu Ming shuming at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Sun Jun 24 14:28:29 UTC 2012

On 2012-6-23 20:40, Itamar Heim wrote:
> On 06/23/2012 03:09 AM, Andy Grover wrote:

>>> what about live snapshots?
>>
>> I'm not a virt guy, so extreme handwaving:
>>
>> vm X uses luns 1&  2
>>
>> engine ->  vdsm "pause vm X"
>
> that's pausing the VM. live snapshot isn't supposed to do so.

Tough we don't expect to do a pausing operation to the VM when live
snaphot is undergoing, the VM should be blocked on the access to
specific luns for a while.  The blocking time should be very short to
avoid the storage IO time out in the VM.

>> engine ->  libstoragemgmt "snapshot luns 1, 2 to luns 3, 4"
>> engine ->  vdsm "snapshot running state of X to Y"
>> engine ->  vdsm "unpause vm X"
>
> if engine had any failure before this step, the VM will remain paused.
> i.e., we compromised the VM to take a live snapshot.
>
>> engine ->  vdsm "change Y to use luns 3, 4"
>>
>> ?
>>
>> -- Andy

Shu Ming <shuming at linux.vnet.ibm.com>
IBM China Systems and Technology Laboratory