[Engine-devel] [vdsm] RFC: Writeup on VDSM-libstoragemgmt integration

Andy Grover agrover at redhat.com
Mon Jun 25 02:05:45 UTC 2012

On 06/24/2012 07:28 AM, Shu Ming wrote:
> On 2012-6-23 20:40, Itamar Heim wrote:

>>> I'm not a virt guy, so extreme handwaving:
>>>
>>> vm X uses luns 1&  2
>>>
>>> engine ->  vdsm "pause vm X"
>>
>> that's pausing the VM. live snapshot isn't supposed to do so.
>
> Tough we don't expect to do a pausing operation to the VM when live
> snaphot is undergoing, the VM should be blocked on the access to
> specific luns for a while.  The blocking time should be very short to
> avoid the storage IO time out in the VM.

OK my mistake, we don't pause the VM during live snapshot, we block on
access to the luns while snapshotting. Does this keep live snapshots
working and mean ovirt-engine can use libsm to config the storage array
instead of vdsm?

Because that was really my main question, should we be talking about
engine-libstoragemgmt integration rather than vdsm-libstoragemgmt
integration.

Thanks -- Regards -- Andy