[Engine-devel] Time for Spring?

Asaf Shakarchi ashakarc at redhat.com
Tue Feb 12 11:04:44 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
> Hi,
>
> it is rather cold in Europe, but can I ask, what's the current
> opinion
> or plans about "full" integration of Spring Framework into oVirt
> engine
> (Backend)?
>
> This is a commonly accepted integration framework among Java
> programmers
> and industry standard, which
> solves many pains from small to large projects. And can lead to a
> better
> understanding of the program.
>
> There are several Spring dependencies inside oVirt project, but
> mostly
> for LDAP and database communication (JDBC template).
>
> Still missing (sorry, looks like marketing, but..):
>
> - dependency injection
> - aspect-oriented programming (AOP)
> - enterprise integration patterns
>
> Is something true? :-)
>
> 1. We tried, but it is too large and overcomplicated, it can be
> solved
> better way for the project purpose
> 2. We tried, but we think, we need just e.g. JDBC, LDAP layer covered
> now
> 3. We would like to integrate with e.g. Hibernate soon, EJB,
> remoting,
> unit tests, integration tests, ... , probably we will need it soon
> 4. We understand and need dependency injection, but there are other
> light DI containers (Pico, Guice, JBoss Seam).
> etc.
>
> Still, I think there is strong potential, probably not clear today.
> We
> cannot avoid Guice on frontend side because of GWTP, but the backend
> lacks something.
It may be possible to avoid using Guice on frontend at some point in the future,
There's some work going on with abstracting the DI impl of GWTP, this work is mainly done to integration ERAI with GWTP,
You can follow the progress here:

http://code.google.com/p/gwt-platform/issues/detail?id=423
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/gwt-platform/rHiNXJGS0jY/UGU0vHQMJq0J