[Engine-devel] Time for Spring?

Libor Spevak lspevak at redhat.com
Tue Feb 12 14:52:16 UTC 2013

On 12.2.2013 12:04, Asaf Shakarchi wrote:
> [...]
Thanks for the links. http://www.jboss.org/errai project looks
progressive and the technologies that it integrates together would fit
into Engine project purpose. But I am not sure, if a mature project like
oVirt can easily replace used libraries or frameworks. Because a lot of
frameworks nowadays define not only technologies (mostly limited set),
but also overall architecture, which is very useful for startup
applications, but to add +1 technology requires some effort and for
existing applications total refactoring.

For massive changes like JPA/Hibernate integration I can imagine e.g.
Spring support in the existing project, but I think the benefits and
effort are questionable nowadays, although there are fans of this tool. :-)

DI is probably the topic for the Backend, so we see soon after CDI patch
(JEE standard + JBoss implementation) is applied and some refactoring
proves the technology. The advantage is that the dependency injection
changes can be applied gradually.