[Engine-devel] Network Quality of Service 3.3 - Feature design

Livnat Peer lpeer at redhat.com
Tue Jun 4 09:02:35 UTC 2013

On 06/02/2013 09:58 AM, Ofri Masad wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> A new Feature page for "Network Quality of Service" feature was published.
>
> http://www.ovirt.org/Features/Design/Network_QoS
>
> You are more than welcome to share you thoughts and insights.

Hi Ofri,

Here is another suggestion for you to consider, this suggestion is
realted only to QoS on the VNIC level -

Introducing a new entity - VNIC Profile.
The VNIC profile would include all the properties of a VNIC:
 - network,
 - Qos,
 - Port mirroring,
 - custom properties

>From now on a user would choose a VNIC profile when he defines a VNIC
(instead of choosing a network and defining properties directly on the VNIC)

A network could have multiple profiles defined on it.

A User would need permissions to use a profile instead of the current
state that we require permission to use a network.

The benefits of this approach :

1. Limiting the user to a specific QoS on a network is easy you give the
user permission to use a specific profile.

2. A user can add a new VNIC but he would be limited to QoS defined on
the profile he is able to use (which eliminates the problem that a user
can add a VNIC to it's VM but won't get any bandwidth limitations).

3. An administrator does not add VNIC QoS properties on the network
entity (to serve as defaults) which are not relevant for non-VM network.

4. The network admin who creates the VNIC profile is also the one who
can configure the QoS to that Network.

5. The separation between user portal and admin portal is very clear, in
user portal we expose only the profile name and in the admin portal a
user can view the profile details.

6. We would leave custom properties also on the VNIC level not only the
profile level so a user can send VM specific data.

7.I can also describe upgrade path but maybe we should discuss the
general concept before diving into the details.

Livnat