[Engine-devel] Issues with VirtIO-SCSI

Ayal Baron abaron at redhat.com
Mon Sep 23 22:23:43 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
> Hi Daniel,
>
> I asked this question because I have implemented a filter to show only
> compatible disk interfaces (in change #17964). The main purpose of this
> patch is to hide the IDE interface type when creating disks for PPC64 VMs
> (since IDE is not supported on this architecture). If it was decided that
> the VirtIO-SCSI interface type should be hidden from the user in case it was
> disabled, I would have to modify that patch a little bit.

That is not the case.  Point is to allow users to add a scsi controller to a VM that does not have any scsi disks. This is needed in case the user would later on like to hotplug scsi disks.  Without this, hotplug would fail since there is no scsi controller in the VM.
When the VM is down, you can always attach a scsi disk and if there is no scsi controller then engine will automatically add one.

> Another issue is that in change #18622 the support for a PPC64-specific
> controller, the SPAPR VSCSI controller, was introduced. But the code was
> created based on the assumption that the VirtIO-SCSI controller was always
> present, and this isn't the case anymore. And another patch that I will work
> on really soon will add support to create disks that are connected to this
> interface.
>
> So, I would like some feedback before changing these patches. Is a validation
> on the backend enough to block the user from using an inexistent controller?
> Should the frontend be changed as well? What would be a good approach to
> handle multiple SCSI controllers in a VM (were the presence of one of them
> is optional)?

If you have a need for a VM with more than 256 LUNs then I'd say that the easiest behaviour to understand would be to hide the existence of the controllers from the user altogether and just add support to automatically hotplug controllers on the fly when existing controllers are reaching their limit.