[Engine-devel] Playing with GWT Super Dev Mode

Vojtech Szocs vszocs at redhat.com
Wed Mar 26 14:23:58 UTC 2014

Hi guys,

I wrote a patch [1] that adds the ability to debug WebAdmin using
GWT Super Dev Mode, an alternative to current (Classic) Dev Mode.

[1] http://gerrit.ovirt.org/#/c/26093/

I've encountered some issues, for some reason calls to GWT RPC
server endpoint /ovirt-engine/webadmin/GenericApiGWTService fail
with HTTP 500 (internal server error).

The way Super Dev Mode works is selector script (webadmin.nocache.js)
loads actual permutation files from Super Dev Mode's "code" server at
localhost:9876 - JS inside makes GWT RPC calls which fails, not sure
if this is due to "experimental" stage of Super Dev Mode in GWT 2.5.1
or if its related to direct-eval RPC implementation in use.

You can take the patch above and play with it, in the worst case
I will abandon it and revisit when we upgrade to newer GWT version
(which will fully support Super Dev Mode).

As you might already know, GWT team is focusing on Super Dev Mode
in the long term, as maintaining different browser plugins for GWT
debugging (used with Classic Dev Mode) is problematic; for example,
recent Firefox versions have issues with GWT Developer Plugin.

Regards,
Vojtech