[ovirt-devel] GWT vs. Java

Roy Golan rgolan at redhat.com
Sun Oct 5 07:16:20 UTC 2014

On 10/03/2014 06:19 PM, Vojtech Szocs wrote:

> [...]

Good news - @amureini prepare the nose of the Animal Sniffer :)
@Vojtech keep us posted so we'll bump the language version of common

Curious to know, does GWT have a WebSockets module for 2 way
communication with the backend and are we planning to use it?

>>> GWT 2.7
>>> =======
>>> - planned support for *only* Java 8 language syntax like
>>>    lambdas etc. but *without* emulating new Java 8 APIs like
>>>    streams etc. (Java 8 API emulation should come in GWT 3.0)
>>>
>>> Likely, GWT 2.7 will remove GWT deRPC implementation on which
>>> we currently rely on. (@Martin, can you please share details?)
>>>
>>> This means that until we move UI to REST API, we can't upgrade
>>> post GWT 2.6, so this will put more pressure to work on oVirtJS
>>> project in consequence.
>>>
>>> GWT 3.0
>>> =======
>>> - ETA early next year?
>>> - planned to fully support Java 8 -> both language and APIs
>>> - one of key highlights is better integration with JavaScript,
>>>    which fits the scenario where GWT "application" is one module
>>>    that's part of bigger application (hybrid approach)
>> Thanks for sharing with us!
>> Can you please elabroate more on this hybrid approach?
> With "hybrid approach" I meant a situation where the web application
> consists of distinct modules, each module providing some functionality.
>
> The common base technology for all modules, as well as for the module
> infra itself, is JavaScript. Each module can export APIs that other
> modules can consume. The whole complexity of web application is broken
> by dividing its logical parts into modules. Each module can be built
> (and packaged too) as a separate project.
>
> For a long time, I felt that GWT lived in its "own" world, with vast
> majority of GWT use cases = GWT to implement the whole web application.
>
> GWT 3.0 should provide better JavaScript integration, so GWT can also
> more easily fill the role of a "module" as opposed to the traditional
> role of "the whole application".

Does this mean you're thinking of replacing some of the frontend parts
with plain javascript and html and make them play with the GWT modules?

>> Cheers,
>> Yair
>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Vojtech