[ovirt-devel] GWT vs. Java

Vojtech Szocs vszocs at redhat.com
Mon Oct 6 14:45:55 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----

:D

> @Vojtech keep us posted so we'll bump the language version of common

GWT 2.6 upgrade patch will get merged once we do some more GUI
tests on IE browser. There was also an issue with bad checksum
for one of Maven (POM) artifacts, I'll contact the JBoss guy..

> Curious to know, does GWT have a WebSockets module for 2 way
> communication with the backend and are we planning to use it?

Good question. AFAIK, GWT doesn't have "official" API for
websocket but there are 3rd party libs that could be used,
for example:

  https://github.com/sksamuel/gwt-websockets
  https://github.com/sockjs/sockjs-client

But moving GUI to REST API is a big task that's ahead of us
now, 2-way client/server communication is something we could
do after that (distant future). I'm all for websockets, btw :)

> >> Thanks for sharing with us!
> >> Can you please elabroate more on this hybrid approach?
> > With "hybrid approach" I meant a situation where the web application
> > consists of distinct modules, each module providing some functionality.
> >
> > The common base technology for all modules, as well as for the module
> > infra itself, is JavaScript. Each module can export APIs that other
> > modules can consume. The whole complexity of web application is broken
> > by dividing its logical parts into modules. Each module can be built
> > (and packaged too) as a separate project.
> >
> > For a long time, I felt that GWT lived in its "own" world, with vast
> > majority of GWT use cases = GWT to implement the whole web application.
> >
> > GWT 3.0 should provide better JavaScript integration, so GWT can also
> > more easily fill the role of a "module" as opposed to the traditional
> > role of "the whole application".
>
> Does this mean you're thinking of replacing some of the frontend parts
> with plain javascript and html and make them play with the GWT modules?

That's my secret plan, now it's not secret anymore :D

Exactly as you wrote, I was thinking of modularizing the whole frontend
with JavaScript language as the common base between all modules. Some
modules could be implemented in JavaScript, some could still use GWT.