[ovirt-devel] Debian support for vdsm and subpackages

Sandro Bonazzola sbonazzo at redhat.com
Mon Dec 14 11:13:10 UTC 2015

On Sun, Dec 13, 2015 at 2:25 PM, Yaniv Bronheim <ybronhei at redhat.com> wrote:

> We currently manage debian packaging files under
> https://gerrit.ovirt.org/#/q/project:releng-tools instead of in the
> project itself. imo it makes it harder, as developer won't update the
> debian folder while changing spec parts , which makes much more observation
> work for Simone..
> But if we keep to manage debian that way we should remove the debian
> folder from cpopen,  vdsm,  pthreading to avoid duplication.
>
> Simone can you explain more how you manage to flow code changes and update
> the debian support currently? should I indeed drop the current debian code
> that we have in vdsm?
>
> --
> *Yaniv Bronhaim.*

Issue with keeping debian subdir within the package itself is that it's
totally useless unless maintained.
When a new release is issued just tagging the code won't be enough anymore
because debian changelog expect to be updated with the release version. So
tagging vdsm-4.17.14 without having 4.17.14 in the changelog will cause the
package to fail the build (while rpm just issue a error in rpmlint... )

having a separate repo decouple the distribution packaging from the package
itself and make it easier to handle at release time.

--
Sandro Bonazzola
See how it works at redhat.com