[ovirt-devel] Debian support for vdsm and subpackages

Barak Korren bkorren at redhat.com
Mon Dec 14 11:26:17 UTC 2015

> Issue with keeping debian subdir within the package itself is that it's
> totally useless unless maintained.
> When a new release is issued just tagging the code won't be enough anymore
> because debian changelog expect to be updated with the release version. So
> tagging vdsm-4.17.14 without having 4.17.14 in the changelog will cause the
> package to fail the build (while rpm just issue a error in rpmlint... )
>
> having a separate repo decouple the distribution packaging from the package
> itself and make it easier to handle at release time.

While I have very little stake in this, I have to say that looking at
this from the side, it looks strange that RPM is supported as a
primary build target for all projects while DEB needs a separate repo.
Maybe the build scripts should be made smarter and work around Debians
limitations (For example let the makefile dynamically generate the
changelog form the tags)?

--
Barak Korren
bkorren at redhat.com