[ovirt-devel] Mixed local and shared storage

Christopher Pereira kripper at imatronix.cl
Mon May 11 15:58:40 UTC 2015

On 08-05-2015 8:31, David Caro wrote:
> [...]
> The case is when you want to spin up vms from a template, but use them only
> once and remove them afterwards (for example, running tests), if you had the
> option to have a shared storage where you store the templates, and then a local
> storage where you spin up the vms, that allows really fast (local) storage for
> the vms and avoids you having to setup a clustered storage (gluster, etc) for
> those vms that do not need any of those features.
>
> So is that already possible? (For other threads and what I've tested seems not)
> Is that viable? Can it be implemented on ovirt?

Hi David,

You could use a local replica-1 gluster storage domain for this.
replica-1 => no split brains + local performance + no complexity + no
overhead + gluster benefits
It just works fine.

PS: I'm currently researching the best way to live replicate local
replica-1 volumes by using geo-replication, adding a replica-2 brick,
using libvirt blockcopy or oVirt API.

Best regards,
Christopher.