[ovirt-devel] oVirt-specific aspect languages

Martin Sivak msivak at redhat.com
Wed Apr 13 13:50:07 UTC 2016

Hi all,

I agree that it was an interesting article.

> However, since AspectJ is an extension to Java, most of oVirt
> developers would need to know additional programming language
> which puts the cost-effectiveness of this approach into question.

Actually you only need to learn some very basic stuff about pointcut
definition. The rest was pure Java for anything I ever needed (before,
after and around cases).

DSLs are a nice thing to have, and we can start by utilizing object
builders more :) Those are a kind of DSL too if nicely written. See
the latest email on this list from Roman Mohr that talks about Domain
Object Builders (or Spring Security Java configuration [2] to see a
more complicated example of how it is used elsewhere).

Martin

[1] http://lists.ovirt.org/pipermail/devel/2016-April/012790.html
[2] http://docs.spring.io/spring-security/site/docs/current/reference/html/jc.html