[ovirt-devel] The engine build job you probably didn't know exists

Yedidyah Bar David didi at redhat.com
Thu Dec 8 08:07:01 UTC 2016

On Wed, Dec 7, 2016 at 5:51 PM, Eyal Edri <eedri at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 7, 2016 at 4:59 PM, Yedidyah Bar David <didi at redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Dec 7, 2016 at 4:39 PM, Eyal Edri <eedri at redhat.com> wrote:
>> > FYI,
>> >
>> > After hearing that this might be useful to many developers, I wanted to
>> > bring to your attention the ovirt-engine master build job from patch [1]
>> > which allows you to build new rpms from an open ovirt-engine patch on
>> > Gerrit.
>> >
>> > Its was created as temp job for a team who needed it a few months ago,
>> > but
>> > seems it might useful for other teams as well, so we decided to publish
>> > it
>> > even though its not standardized yet as part of our standard CI system.
>> >
>> > I hope you can find it useful for your teams.
>>
>> Never heard about it, sounds useful.
>>
>> We have too many jobs (for me) to know them all.
>>
>> So I use 'search'. What to search for? Usually the project name, but some
>> projects have many jobs too.
>

> There are no more special hidden jobs :) If I'll find out on something
> useful i'll publish it.
>

>> There are jobs named something_manual, 87 currently. Some (many? all?
>> those I know) get a tarball as input. I don't like this personally,
>> as I can't know, when using a result of such a job, what was in the
>> tarball. Much better to have to push first to gerrit and supply
>> that (or commit hash, or something like that).
>>
>> Some of them are called something_any_something_manual. Are these
>> special? What's 'any'?
>

> These jobs replaced the old 'manual' jobs for building official rpms, not
> all maintainers use them.
> see [1]
>
> [1]
> http://infra-docs.readthedocs.io/en/latest/CI/Build_and_test_standards.html#build-artifacts-manual-sh
>

>> Perhaps we can have (instead? in addition?) a button on gerrit
>> "trigger build-artifacts" that will run the standard-CI build-artifacts?
>> Or some other new script we'll add to standard-CI? Because current
>> build-artifacts is expected to be ran only after merge, and the
>> publisher reads it. Perhaps e.g. "build-scratch-artifacts".
>

> Not sure Gerrit supports it, but feel free to open a ticket with ideas and
> we'll see if there are options to add it.
> I'm not sure how often people need artifacts during devel, but you can
> easily add it to check-patch.sh script
> and the jenkins job will archive the rpms for you.

Indeed, and I do this in some cases, where building is quick (e.g. otopi).
But if building is potentially slow, and check-patch does not build, or
builds something minimal good enough only for its own tests, it might be
useful to allow very easily to also do a "full" build for further manual
testing, before merging.

Opened https://ovirt-jira.atlassian.net/browse/OVIRT-920 .