[ovirt-devel] Progress report on Vdsm Debian packaging

Milan Zamazal mzamazal at redhat.com
Wed Mar 30 13:10:52 UTC 2016

I made progress with Debian packaging of Vdsm.  We have all the
supporting packages (cpopen, ioprocess, mom, pthreading, safelease,
sanlock) in Debian now.  I took over maintenance of sanlock Debian
package, updated it and made a lot of fixes, including preparing the
previously unavailable python-sanlock package.

As for Vdsm itself, the package can be installed now and Vdsm can be
started.  It doesn't work with Engine, which is no big surprise.  We
can't simply reinstall a Debian host from Engine, so we need to find
some way how to initialize the host properly.  And it's likely there are
distribution specific pieces inside Vdsm and elsewhere.

All the package sources, including not yet uploaded Vdsm package, are
available on http://git.debian.org .

How you can help:

- Obviously, we need to make Vdsm hosts working, so any help in this
  area is welcome.

- Reviewing and testing Vdsm Debian package (without actually using it)
  is also very helpful, I'm sure there are things to fix or improve.

- There are some Lintian warnings in the packages, fixing them would be
  nice.

- We should also review Debian patches in the packages, decide what
  should be changed upstream and report it.

- You can help with anything else you consider useful.