[ovirt-devel] Progress report on Vdsm Debian packaging

Dan Kenigsberg danken at redhat.com
Thu Mar 31 09:45:18 UTC 2016

On Wed, Mar 30, 2016 at 03:10:52PM +0200, Milan Zamazal wrote:
> I made progress with Debian packaging of Vdsm.  We have all the
> supporting packages (cpopen, ioprocess, mom, pthreading, safelease,
> sanlock) in Debian now.  I took over maintenance of sanlock Debian
> package, updated it and made a lot of fixes, including preparing the
> previously unavailable python-sanlock package.

Thanks for your effort. I think that porting Vdsm and its dependencies
would help make the code cleaner and more robust.

> As for Vdsm itself, the package can be installed now and Vdsm can be
> started.  It doesn't work with Engine, which is no big surprise.  We
> can't simply reinstall a Debian host from Engine, so we need to find
> some way how to initialize the host properly.

Sorry I do not understand what's currently breaking. Can you add a
debian host to Engine? Does it show as up? Anything dubious in vdsm.log?

> And it's likely there are
> distribution specific pieces inside Vdsm and elsewhere.

Of course there are. But we'd like to to find an kill them, one at a
time.