[ovirt-devel] [IMPORTANT] getting rid of our implementation of UUID generation in 4.2.1

Eli Mesika emesika at redhat.com
Tue Dec 12 10:11:46 UTC 2017

Hi

We had decided to drop our UUID generation function from DB in 4.2.1 and
use the one provided by PG (using an extension)
Please note that once this patch [1] is merged , you will have to do the
following steps in your env in order that it will continue working.

1) make sure that the postgresql-contrib is installed on your machine
(yum/dnf install postgresql-contrib -y)
2) run the following command from psql prompt while logging in with a DB
admin (postgres) user
     a) DROP FUNCTION IF EXISTS uuid_generate_v1();
     b) CREATE EXTENSION "uuid-ossp";'
3) validate from psql prompt by :

# select *  from pg_available_extensions where name = 'uuid-ossp' and
installed_version IS NOT NULL;

You should get the following result

name              | uuid-ossp
default_version   | 1.0
installed_version | 1.0
comment           | generate universally unique identifiers (UUIDs)

Please contact me for any questions or problems you encounter after this
patch is merged to master.

[1] https://gerrit.ovirt.org/#/c/84832/

Thanks

Eli Mesika