[ovirt-devel] Question about general testing

Greg Sheremeta gshereme at redhat.com
Tue Jul 18 12:45:04 UTC 2017

On Tue, Jul 18, 2017 at 8:40 AM, Yaniv Kaul <ykaul at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Jul 18, 2017 5:11 AM, "Eyal Edri" <eedri at redhat.com> wrote:
>

> On Tue, Jul 18, 2017 at 11:47 AM, Petr Kotas <pkotas at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Marc,
>>
>> I have been working on a development environment for the oVirt. The
>> environment is basically two VMs running beside together. One runs the
>> engine, second is a host that runs the vdsm with nested virtualization.
>>  I am now working on the vagrant file with orchestration to make the
>> environment setup easier. So if You would wait for a few more days, You
>> will be able to start from my setup.
>>

> Hi Petr,
> I would advise you to look into oVirt System Tests which are already being
> used for over a year in oVirt's CI/CD flow and are continously finding real
> regressions on a weekly basis.
>

> I strongly agree here. Very strongly, let's not reinvent the wheel here.

What would be super useful is for OST (or something) to stand up an
environment at a specific commit, aka an instant development environment.
Maybe with Eclipse (Che?) ready to go right at that project state. It
sounds like Petr is trying to create something like that.

> It is used to continously test each oVirt project in CI, and continuous
> deliver it to a 'tested' repo only if it passed the system tests validation.
> The oVirt Systems tests project is getting updated also very frequently
> with new tests, which you can find here [3]
>
> We already have testing suites for 'basic install with normal engine/RHEL
> hypervisors', 'hosted engine', 'hyper converged setup with gluster', 'next
> gen node based installation'.
> In addition, we support exporting the environment and importing it, so
> basically you can bring up a complex setup once, export it and use it later
> for demo purposes or just reproducing a bug.
>
> In general, Lago also supports other distros such as Debian, Fedora and
> can be installed either with RPMs or PiP.
>

> It also supports many little features you'll end up implementing yourself,
> spare yourself the pleasure.
> Y.
>

> For more info you can read here [1][2], There are also multiple videos and
> slidedesk available on both projects if you're interested.
>

> [1] http://ovirt-system-tests.readthedocs.io/en/latest/
> [2] http://lago.readthedocs.io/en/latest/
> [3] https://gerrit.ovirt.org/gitweb?p=ovirt-system-tests.git
> ;a=shortlog;h=refs%2Fheads%2Fmaster
>

>> As for the containers. For you to have a full test setup, you would need
>> to place a VM inside the container and run a nested virtualization inside.
>> This is what the two projects you mentioned are doing. Therefore they are
>> not that lightweight as you would like.
>>
>> I would recommend using the VM environment, which is the simplest
>> solution.
>>
>> I will send a reply again once my environment is up.
>>
>> Petr
>>

>> On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 4:52 PM, Greg Sheremeta <gshereme at redhat.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Does ovirt-system-tests meet your needs? It can leave the VMs standing
>>> when it's done.

>>> --
>>> Greg Sheremeta, MBA
>>> Sr. Software Engineer
>>> Red Hat, Inc.
>>> gshereme at redhat.com

> Eyal edri
>

> ASSOCIATE MANAGER
>
> RHV DevOps
>
> EMEA VIRTUALIZATION R&D
>

> Red Hat EMEA <https://www.redhat.com/>
> <https://red.ht/sig> TRIED. TESTED. TRUSTED. <https://redhat.com/trusted>
> phone: +972-9-7692018 <+972%209-769-2018>
> irc: eedri (on #tlv #rhev-dev #rhev-integ)

Greg Sheremeta, MBA
Sr. Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc.
gshereme at redhat.com